Re: White City

WHITE CITY is my favorite of Townshend's solo albums, followed closely by
PSYCHODERELICT. I find the story intriguing (and as a possible sequel of
QUAD, too) and the songs compelling in a way that only Townshend can do.
Give Blood is as strong as any Who song; Brilliant Blues could have been a
Who song and (to me) is about their breakup...from PT's perspective. Face
The Face is the weakest cut, but still interesting. Hiding Out a wonderful
little song, which I like better each time I hear it. Secondhand Love again
shows Pete's power, and is the best song on this subject I've heard.
Crashing By Design & I Am Secure work well together, musically...and how can
you not love lines like: "You were chasing a capricious wind..." and "My
heart is touched by awakening faces..." or "Performing for love/Trapped in
submission..." Pure Townshend, that.
White City Fighting is another rocker, again with great lyrical magic:
"Blood was an addiction/Now it's analysed/As though it was fiction..." This
song sums up what PT was trying to say here...according to the interviews on
the end of the video.
Come To Mama was never one of my favorites, but it certainly reminds (as an
end piece) of Love, Reign O'er Me.
It may be that you have to be more of a Townshend fan than Who to love this
one...and I wouldn't think that I am...but I feel this one rates with the
best Who albums.
      Cheers                     ML