White City

Well, anyone for some germane discussion?

Here's one we don't discuss much on the list.  I've been listening to it a
lot lately and I have a number of comments/questions.

- First of all, I *love* this album.  I think it's as good or better than
Empty Glass and Chinese Eyes in many ways.  And far superior to Iron Man
and Psychoderelict.  There.  I said it.

- What's the story behind White City (the place)?  Is it a London slum?
It's mentioned in Dogs, so I assume it's an actual place that's been around
awhile.  Perhaps some of the listers on the London side of the sink can
help me out.

- I happen to think that this would have made a *killer* post-Moon Who
album, as good as Empty Glass and better than Chinese Eyes.  The structure
of the music and the instrumentation really lend itself to the Who's style.
I think PT's band ends up sounding a little less gutsy than the Who would
have been.  Entwistle's thundering bass would have been far better than
that sloppy fretless.  Sounds like someone playing a huge zipper.  (I
should note that I am a bass player, and have found only King Crimson's
Tony Levin to be even listenable on a fretless).  Imagine Big Johnny
ripping into  the bass lines of "Give Blood" or "Face The Face."

- Daltrey's voice is perfect for almost every song on the album.
Especially "Second Hand Love" and "Crashing By Design."  And his harp
talents would have held up on "Face The Face" as well.

- My copy of the CD has incorrect lyrics printed for "I Am Secure."  The
second verse is different from what Pete sings.  Anybody know the story
behind that?

- "I Am Secure" sounds to me like a sequel to "I'm One" from Quad.  Sort of
checking back in with Jimmy after he's 35, married and has a couple
squirrely teens of his own.  Especially in the last two lines of the song.

"I am secure in this world of apartheid.
 This is my cell, but it's connected to starlight."

I love PT's voice on this one, but imagine Daltrey singing harmony.

- Dave Gilmour is listed as a musician in the liner notes.  Is that him on
the main guitar riff of "Give Blood?"  I can't distinguish any other place
in the album where it's his style (which I admire very much).

- I can hear a lot of Who By Numbers in "Brilliant Blues."  Very much like
"They're All In Love."

- Anyone else think that "Come To Mama" sounds like an outtake from the
Empty Glass sessions?  The guitar phrasing, piano, and mix sounds a lot
like the Empty Glass songs.  I think that's Simon Philips on drums in this
song (Ian, help me out here) from the annoying toms splattered all over the
intro.  Oddly enough, this is my least favorite song on the album.

Comments?

OK,
KLW