"Jones-era Who"

Jim's comments:

>That brings up an interesting question.  To what extent do we Who fans like
the
>Jones-era Who, and why?
>I like the post-Who with respect to the boots I've heard from 1979-80.  The
band
>kicked some ass.  I think the real falloff for the Who following Moon's
death is
>Townshend's writing and playing.  I think he got tired of the Who, especially
>once EMPTY GLASS became a hit.  I think he then went through the motions until
>he bailed in late '83.  Any thoughts?  So, my criticisms with post-Moon Who is
>not so much with Jones as with Townshend's writing.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts, Jim.  I didn't really get into the 'Oo
until AFTER Moon's death, so the Jones-era Who was really all I knew (apart
from the albums themselves, of course).  It's pretty obvious that Jones and
Moon had completely different styles - BUT: take a listen to Jones' work
with the Small Faces, the Faces, and Rod Stewart.  His work on "Stay With
Me", for instance, is a lot less "restrained" than some of his work with The
Who.

I think Jones took a lot of the blame for what really did amount to a loss
of interest on Townshend's part.  There are some songs on Empty Glass that
would have really made Face Dances a classic album, in my opinion.
Likewise, a couple from Chinese Eyes, had they been included on It's Hard.

People tend to forget, I think, that from 79-83, Jones was a full voting
partner in the band (Curbishley had the fifth vote, I believe).  There are a
LOT of boots from the tours through 79-80 that impress (for performance, if
not for sound quality).  I've always felt a bit sorry for Jones, stepping in
to fill Moon's shoes... an impossible task, made no easier by Townshend's
complacency about the band and Daltrey's grief over Moon's loss.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if Rog is still making that movie about
Keith?  Haven't heard anything about it in a while...

Cheers!

Gary