Blur

>BTW I'm not a fan of a lot of new music out there.  However I must
>give a plug for Blur's new album "The Great Escape".  Of the new
>music I do buy (mostly of the rock variety, excuse me alternative; there now
>it can sell millions with a label) this is the best album I've
>heard.  I dare say I like it over Neil Young's Mirror Ball (no I
>don't classify him as new, but it is a recent release) which is a
>landmark event for me.  I hear a lot of the appealing qualities of
>the Kinks, Bowie, early and middle era Pink Floyd mixed with their
>own style on this album.  Anyway it's just a suggestion.

Yeah, but does the US or UK pressing sound better?

I agree with Ian.  This is a great album, give it try if you are open to
new music.
It's a very British album, both in lyrical content and sound.  There are
many different styles, ranging from the Kinks-like "Country House" (a #1
single in the UK, I believe), to punk, and many others.  The production is
great and I hear new things every time I listen.
Mix Kinks lyrics, Bowie singing and early Floyd sonics.

There is some good music coming out of the UK these days.  Many bands are
showing the influence of 60's British music without directly copying from
it.  The Who are fashionable again.

N.B.  There are at least two Joe G.'s on this list.

Joe Grimes  ***   jgg@iac.net   ***   Cincinnati, Ohio
The music we play must be tomorrow's, the things we say have to be today's
and the reason for bothering is yesterday  -  Pete Townshend, '70-'71