Allsorts

To continue the subject of sources for various versions of Who
songs, I was wondering if anyone who has the German "Phases" box
set could say whether those LPs have any essential versions? If
I'm not mistaken, the first 3 albums are all there. Are these
mixes anything out of the ordinary?

Also, on the subject of Who covers, I saw the Smithereens on a
free ticket once that was, without a doubt, one of the best shows
I ever saw, short of our list's raison d'etre, of course. I
believe the Smithereens' guitarist, Jim Babjak, is a veritable
Who disciple. Their live version of "The Seeker," their last
song of a 3-encore show, brought the place to its knees. I think
I remember a kind of euphoria overtaking me as they played that.

If you want to hear a very Who-ish song, check out "Now and Then"
on The Smithereens' "Blow Up" CD. Babjak wrote the song, and it's
a good one.

Happy Thanxgiving....

-Jon