Re: Townshend & the Les Paul

>           Anybody know why Pete quit using his Les Paul in late 79?
>           Does it have some deep psychological connection to the
>           Cincinnati tragedy (hey, I studied psych, so looking for
>           underlying mental dynamics is not new to me)?
>
>           Anyway, just curious.
>
>           jim

Well, for my money the Les Paul provided a less distinct sound than the SG single coil pickups, but
more suited for generic Arena rock, as they have a greater midrangy sound..., whereas the p-90s
had a deep bass/high end combination that makes his sound great....

Then he went on to using two Hiwatt heads vs. three heads, and switched to the Schecter guitars and
different speaker cabinets, and to me the sound further dissipated and became more generic... At
that point I just didn't care...

JW