Re: Quick One/Sell Out

>>It will be a great moment
>>when Shel Talmy releases the true stereo version of that album. It will be
>>interesting to see if that is done as well as the Sell Out reissue or as
>>poorly as the Quick One reissue.
>>

>It's interesting how subjective all this is. You may have seen my recent
>posting on the new 'Sell Out', which I think is *horrible* - it's crystal
>clear, yes, but (IMO) it's far too lightweight and 'spacey' compared with
>the power of any of the original vinyl versions (I did enjoy the bonus
>tracks though). I don't have the new 'Quick One' yet, but now I'm wondering
>if maybe I'll *like* that one where other folks such as yourself don't. What
>did you think of the new 'Who's Next'? Sound-wise, I thought it was really
>good.
>
>Mike

I know what you mean about the spacey sound of Sell Out. Without getting into
a long discussion I've kind of felt that way about the CD medium in general
since 1983. However, I always felt the stereo mix of Sell Out was spacey
anyways. When I want that kick in the groin sound I dig out my vinyl mono
copies.

However, I did feel the Sell Out reissue came off well as an extended version,
rather than just the original with stuff tacked on the end like the others.
And to have things like Jaguar in their entirety is another great bonus.

If you don't like lightweight you definitely will not like the new Quick One.
The only cut from the original album that is in stereo is "Run Run Run", a cut
that I think is much better in the mono mix.

I did think the new Who's Next was great sound-wise. I do like the concept of
not messing around with the original song line-up - just adding songs on at
the end. I would have preferred less live material although I suppose the
Young Vic is kind of an exception. One of the things that really turned me
off to live tape collecting and live cuts in general is Bargain. If I hear that
one live once more I'll scream.
---
Joe Giorgianni
South Glens Falls, NY  12803