Re: Join Together --> Who's Next

-----------------------  Begin Original Message  ----------------------

On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, Gary Maiullo wrote:

> -----------------------  Begin Original Message  ----------------------
> > P.S.  Leave it to Pete to create a landmark song (Join Together)
> >       where the main instruments are the jaw harp and harmonica.
>
> What's a jaw harp?  Blowing through the holes between your teeth?
> ------------------------  End Original Message  -----------------------
> Lev --
>         Please excuse the description, but a Jaws Harp, or Jews Harp
> (that's what we called it when we were growing up.... no anti-semetic
> sentiment intended....) is a funny-shaped-piece-of-a-metal thing, that
> has a thin piece of metal in the middle.  You are supposed to hold the
> thing up to your mouth, so the thin metal piece is over your mouth, and
> then you "stroke" the metal piece so that it vibrates.  You change the sound
> by opening/closing your throat, and chging the shape of the inside of your
> mouth.  THAT is what is being played at the beginning of Join Together.
> (Forgive me my lame description...!)

Actually it's called a Jew's Harp, or a Jews' Harp.  Your description
mirrors the Webster's; the only thing I could add is that CC thinks it is
possibly Pete on a synthesizer reproducing the sound of a Jew's Harp.

I guess I should have added a smiley to my original comment.

---I won't get fooled again.--L-e-v-
------------------------  End Original Message  -----------------------
Lev --
        WOW, me & webster, together again (he would LOVE the grammar on
THIS sentence...)
        Lev, if you would be so kind, and purchase the 2 cd set,
"The Who Collection, vol 1 & 2", I would love to purchase it from
you.  Please let me know how much, and where to send the payment, and
tomorrow, it will be in the mail.  I have been seeking the long version
of Magic Bus for so long on CD, and it looks like the "Collection" CD is
the only disc it is available on (I mean, "on which it is available..."),
so please let me know....thx.

        gary maiullo.