Re: other audio bits on Who's Next

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Mark Leaman wrote:

> >I doubt it's the same thing, but there's a noise near the end of WGFA (as
> >the guitar calms down for the minute-or-so of synth preceding the Shout)
> >that sounds for all the world like a light switch getting flicked, and
> >which, even after a hundred times through it, made me turn my head toward
> >the light switch if I was listening through headphones.
>
> Lev:
>
> I wonder if you are referring to the acoustic guitar riffs Townshend used to
> "keep time" on the synth track. They can also be heard on a CD version of
> Largo Md. 12/73 (Pinball Wizard), so they must be part of the original tape
> (which was used in concerts).
>              Cheers                ML

No, that's different.  I've known those for a while.  What I'm talking
about actually sounds like (you made me get out my
Who's Next CD) an errant knock of the drumsticks, almost completely on
the right channel, at 6:30.  Now, before the drum intro to the Shout, it
certainly sounds like the Who are once again walking up to their
instruments to start playing again (turn it up loud and you should hear
it.  But then, why would you want to listen to that album with the volume
turned down?).  It sounds like Keith settles into (or out of) his stool,
or chair, or whatever he sat on, and then there's a slight shuffling of
something or other about a second before the drum flurries begin.

Happy Who-ing...

---Today, we'd like to honor a man of imagination and intellect.
Instead, we've chosen George Wallace of Alabama (That Was the Week That
Was)--L-e-v-