Polls 1 & 2

   I guess I'll just jump in here with both polls at once.  Here we go:

First Album Ever: I think it was some Pat Benatar album I got for Christmas.
The first album I bought myself was Bon Jovi... yea, yea, I know- hey, they
were cool then!

First Exposure to The Who: Our local AOR station has always played a lot of Who
stuff, but I never really knew who it was.  After I read some stuff about The
Who, I was curious enough to go out and find "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" on
vinyl for a few bucks.  I was shocked to find that that "Pinball Wizard" song
that I'd heard was The Who!  I was hooked, and ran out and got "Who's Next" on
vinyl, and was really shocked to find that one of the songs I'd always loved
when I heard it on the radio was a Who song called "Baba 'O Riley," and that
"Behind Blue Eyes" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" (also regulars on the radio)
were Who songs.  I'd loved The Who for a while, but just hadn't known it!

First Concert Ever: Pearl Jam here at Purdue two years ago.  I don't really
even like Pearl Jam, but my roommate and me got great seats in the lottery,
so I figured "what the heck?"  Much to my dissatisfaction, I've never seen
The Who live; I was 14 during the '89 tour, and really not into music of any
kind, much less The Who.  Born too late, I suppose....

Most Recent Album Purhased: Smashing Pumpkins, "Melon Collie and the Infinite
Sadness."

Last Concert Attended: Sonic Youth at the Metro in Chicago, Oct. 26th.  Before
that (excluding local concerts) was Foo Fighters at Bogart's in Cincinnati this
summer- oh yea!

Why The Who Are So Important: I find it most cool that a band 30 years old can
stand cheek-to-jowl with modern, post-punk bands like Nirvana and Smashing
Pumpkins.  If you put "I Can See For Miles" on the radio today, it wouldn't
sound too dated at all next to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Alive."  The Who
were ahead of their times in so many ways.  It's a shame that almost nobody
from my generation seems to know about them.

   Well, that's my two cents worth.

                                                       M.M.