early stuff

First Concert:  Alice Cooper's Welcome To My Nightmare Tour (Elton John's Cock of the Testes Tour soon
followed, then Bowie in Feb. '76, then The Who in Oct. '76, then Zep. in July '77 at the Kingdome).  Hadda
get all the area rock outta my system early.... Punk, especially its high quality West coast form, was
soon to follow in Sept. '78 and on a continuous basis for years thereafter..... It tolerated none of the
frills of rock stardom, and took place in small clubs for cheap cover charge.... I rarely paid over 4 bucks.  It helped to be in a band that opened for touring acts, so I not only didn't hafta pay to get in, but
got paid and beer underaged!  Ah, the good life...   In fact when I was in L.A. in 79-80, there was a
movement afoot to boycott all clubs charging over $4.50.

When I lived in Libya there was a radio special on the Who, and they interviewed Townshend about Tommy....
I heard it in about '71.  I know in the summer of '72 we listened heavily to a cassette of Who's Next...
And had Live at Leeds when it came out, as well as Tommy... I was brought up on a heavy diet of hard rock
as a child:  Who, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, T-Rex, Slade, Mountain, starting
about age 9.  Soon, having been indoctrinated, my tastes became very black and white.....

JW