reissues and covers

On Mon, 22 May 95 12:53:37 EDT
Gene Kannenberg <EPK93002@UConnVM.UConn.Edu>
wrote concerning Linda Perry:

> Define "butchers."  I happened to think her *version* was strong, heartfelt,
> full of passion, and *not* an attempt to ape Roger.  What exactly is the
> point of a cover version which sounds exactly like the original?  I think
> we've heard this discussion here before: Did the Who "butcher" Summertime
> Blues?  Dancing in the Street?  Under My Thumb?  The Last Time?  Shakin' All
> Over?  Eyesight to the Blind?  Batman?  Barbara Ann?  I'm a Man?  Twist &
> Shout?

You missed some : Please Please PLease
                  Shout & Shimmy
                  Daddy Rolling Stone
                  Anytime You Want Me
                  Heat Wave
                  - and most notably:

                  YOUNG MAN BLUES

how could u forget that one :) , but seriously I know I forgot some too - there
have been so many.

But if you ask did the who butcher any of these classics?

- if you mean the Twist & Shout from the 30 yrs Box Set then I must reply a long
resounding YES!!!!!!

On Mon, 22 May 1995 14:07:16 EDT
Steve Marshall@CONTINENTAL INSURANCE COMPANY (SMARSH1 @ CDCNOTES)
wrote:

> I just got off the phone with the publicity dept at MCA. Who's Next has been
> pushed back to August 15th..... Just thought I'd pass this info along.
>
> Steve

Does this affect the other two reissues pending; those being Sell Out and A
Quick One?
I wonder this because the original release date slated was for all three of
these titles together on June 20.
I assumed the reason they wanted to release the three together was so they could
support it with a large scale marketing plan (bulk ads in major mags - Rolling
Stone, Billboard etc) to hype the releases (given the lukewarm reception
afforded Live @ Leeds) and make the campaign (meaning the fact that every album
in the catalogue is to be redone) better known to the public.
I must wonder if they plan to keep all three on the same release date for the
reason I had assumed, or if one or both of the others are still a go for June
20.

If only Who's Next must resign us to a long and painful wait, I can live with
that.  You can only listen to 1 CD at a time, and i'm sure the other two can
keep me busy for a long, long time.

Dave T