Re: Talkin' Bout Their Generation

On Sat, 20 May 1995 Furter13@aol.com wrote:

>     I wanted to ask if anyone else has has heard of this cd. If you have
>  this, tell me what you think of it.  I can't find anyone else who has ever
> heard of it.
>
>                                     Thanks,
>                                         Lindsey

I have it. It says "Manufactured by Tabak Marketing Limited for
Baktabak Recordings." I'm pretty sure the catalog number is CBAK 4067
but it might be WH007.  Copyright (heh) 1993.  It's nicely packaged;
the CD and the slipcover have the same picture, the four guys on a
solid red background.  They both say THE WHO TALKIN BOUT THEIR
GENERATION.  The slipcover goes on to say

THE WHO IN CONVERSATION
ROGER DALTRY [sic]
PETE TOWNSHEND
KEITH MOON [although Keith does not appear on it]
JOHN ENTWISTLE

The contents are three interviews, probably all held about the same
time; Pete's is definitely after Live Aid and before the '89 tour, and
the others seem to be from the same general time period.

* a 22-minute interview w/ Pete, sometime in 1985-1988, apparently held
somewhere in England, about Face Dances, possible further Scoop albums
(Scoop had been issued at this time, but Another Scoop had probably
not), writing for himself vs. for the group, etc. etc. Much talk time
from Pete, very little from the interviewer.

* 14 minutes with John, mostly about L@L (the original release), The
Who as a live band (w/ some arguably negative remarks on the Stones),
and inter-Who relationships.

* 12 minutes with Roger on his solo project and touring plans, his
political beliefs and those of the other band members, and his
attitude toward handling his money.

Throughout the CD there is very noticeable ambient noise. People who
don't speak English quite fluently may have trouble understanding
some of what's said due to the ambient noise, the accents, and John's
tendency to speak fairly quietly.

Overall, I'd rate it a 6 on a 10 scale. An snapshot of the band's
thinking as of some years ago, and a couple of interesting nuggets
here and there. No music.

The slipcover says:

For further information on BAKTABAK Collectors Editions send a first-
class stamp or IRC to:

Collector Direct
Network House
29-39 Stirling Rd.
London W3 8DJ

Alan

"When I'm onstage...it's not like bein' possessed, it's just --
*I* *do* *my* *job*."  -- Pete Townshend