Re: Are we musical snobs?

> I felt,too that Rock's prime era had come and gone, but that is largely
> owing to the will of those musically talented and socially challenged to
> come forward and be counted.  It seems to be a case of "Well this dude
> did, so now I will", hence the waves of it.  '64, '69-71, '77-79,
> and now '91'94 or 5 .  I think there are great bands out there with great
> talent.  There always have been on a consistent basis.  It is a matter of
> them coming out in these globs every now and then, skewed as that will
> be by the current social order and technology.

Im talking about rock evolving, and in my opinion, it hasn't since
the mid 70's.  The good music is still out there, but why listen to
band X when you know the originator of band X's sound?  "Ain't
nothing like the real thing" I'll use a jazz example again because
it's easier to explain.  Wynton Marsalis isn't doing anything that
Miles or Clifford Brown weren't doing in the late 50's.  He is just
fusing the styles together.  However he is not progressing the
performance of the trumpet.  Bands of today just seem to be
gathering older influences and putting out the music.  But it's
not a gigantic leap that say Townshend took from his influences and
poured them into "Tommy".

BTW I haven't seen the wave of '94 '95 yet, '91 I will acknowledge.
You also forgot to include '67.