The 'oo (a little blues content!)

Thought this Blues-l post would be of interest to everyone.

<---- Begin Included Message ---->
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 14:27:41 -0800
From: Don Cicchetti <dcicchet@VEGA.LASIERRA.EDU>
Sender: Blues Music List <BLUES-L@BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU>
Subject: The 'oo (a little blues content!)

Dear fellow Blues-ellerz,
   Several of you have had conversations to me and others both private and
on the list about old recording restoration.   Well I want to recommend
something to you.  The new CD release of "The Who Live at Leeds".   Very
rarely is a CD re-mastering done that equals a good vinyl original, but
this one exceeds the original, a lot...
   The concert was recorded with a mobile truck at Leeds University in
England, on Feb. 14, 1970.   The original vinyl release was pretty murky,
but it was seen as a good example of high energy rock as well as an example
of the vagaries of live performance, and recording.  In other words, we all
thought it sounded pretty lousy.   The re-mastered new release conversely
is a testimony to the phenomenal work that can be done when engineers and
producers have all the modern technical skills and equipment, AND good ears
and love of the music.   The producer and engineers on this project, Jon
Astley, Andy MacPherson, and Tim Young ought to win a Grammy for a near
resurrection of this recording.   Absolutely the best re-issue i have ever
heard.   Some specifics:

1. Absolutely the best guitar tone anyone has ever gotten on Pete's SG.
(made me want to go out and buy a HI-WATT right now!)
2. The vocals are solid, powerful, and clear, yet sit in the mix perfectly.
3. The drums are strong, yet balanced and the murkiness of the orginal is gone.
4.  The "infamous crackling noises" are gone completely
5.  The bass is right where it should be, and may easily be seperated from
the kick drum and the guitar while listening.   (this is hard to do in a
live album folks!)
6. The backing vocals are clear and balanced.
7.  The new tracks, not included on the original release are great, and
make this an even more attractive CD.
8. Tape and electronic hiss is extremely low, making comments and wiscracks
during the concert much more audible.   (these guys were pretty funny!)

The Music?

ROCKIN!

   Probably the best live album I have ever heard.   Every shred and metal
wannabe ought to have to study this album for at least three quarters in
college to learn how to be so melodic and so HEAVY at the same time.
Composition quality as high as it gets, Great powerful vocals with feeling
and perfect intonation, Wonderful bass parts, solid and interesting,
Keith's drums, manic and accurate at the same time (it's true! he could
play in time when he wanted to and what energy!),  And I gotta say to all
you fellow guitar heads, Pete is giving the best rhythm lessons you will
ever get on this album, go buy it and forget about lead for a few months as
you see just how exciting good rhythm playing can be.   Rhythm is almost
too small a word for what he does here.  He plays fills, counterpoint,
syncopations, thematic riffs, power chords, and every dang one of them is
so deep in the pocket, that you almost can't believe it.   His stature as a
guitarist needs to be re-evaluated IMO, what he does on this album is as
good in its own way as Jimi was in his.

Live rock just doesn't get any better than this.   Yeah I liked it.   Now I
gotta get the new RJ release.

Don

Don Cicchetti
La Sierra University Library Media Services
Audio/Video/Computer/Satellite
Event Services & Studio Production
dcicchet@vega.lasierra.edu

See, When you overplay, you get too loud
and people are going to mistake what you're doing
for a hole in the air.        Albert King

<---- End Included Message ---->

,