Re: TheWho Digest Vol 2 Num 74

On Sat, Mar 25, 1995 3:45:03 AM TheWho Digest wrote:

>Better than the "Who's Next" version, IHMO. I'm told that they lost the
>master to the original take (the one on "Lifehouse to Leeds") and had to
>rerecord it for the album.  The original, of course, ended up in a
>collector's hands, and I'm sure he more than recouped his investment by
>putting out the boot.  I'm not much for boot CD's, but that one --
>especially the studio outtakes -- blew me away.

The tape wasn't "lost" until much later -- long after the Who's Next
sessions were finished.  The story of how the tape ended up in the hands of
the bootlegger was recounted in a Musician cover story about a year ago.
Olympic studio was going to be shut down and the various bands with tapes
in storage at the studio were notified, but many bands (including,
unfortunately, the Who) let out a collective yawn, and by the time they
realized what was going on, many of the tapes were (literally) in the
dumpster.  Fortunately someone manage to salvage a few tapes.  The tape
which was the source for Lifehouse to Leeds was then sold for $1,000 (not
the $10,000 previously reported) to a bootlegger who arranged to have the
material mixed down to stereo.  IMHO this bootlegger deserves a medal --
and the sincere gratitude of the Who's organization, whose ineptitude has
resulted in the loss of God knows how many tapes.