Re: TheWho Digest Vol 2 Num 72

From: "David C. Olstein" <born2run@pipeline.com>
 Sun Dec  7 12:26:38 PST 1997
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 19:32:56 -0500
Subject: Missing Reel/Who's Next Bonus Tracks

On Wed, Mar 22, 1995 4:57:41 AM TheWho Digest wrote:

>The difficult thing about the WHO's Next reissue, according to Phil, is
that
>the original master tracks are on two (2) reels, and as of a few weeks
ago,
>Jon Astley and Chris Charlesworth only had one of the reels. So one whole

>channel is missing!!!!

Hmmm . . . this doesn't sound quite right.  I always thought the master
tapes held two tracks.   Perhaps half the songs are missing (or rather, the
original masters for half the songs), rather than one channel.

As for the list of Who's Next Bonus tracks, that sounds a little skimpy.
I'm sure there's room for a few more tracks.

It sounds to me like they are missing the "A or the B" reel from the masters.
generally, all lps needed two reels during mixdown. How could they be so
careless.(the who, management) could you imagine making a recording, a
landmark recording and not locking the masters up with foaming at the mouth
security, and even some dogs? Scary. sounds like the BBC was involve! Now I
have to admit I cant find a DAT that I quickly used to put an acoustic
guitar and vocal ref on 2 months ago. but it sure as hell aint Who's Next.
so SHIT HAPPENS.

scott

visit my new who pages. with links to wes and others.

IT ALL LOOKS FINE TO THE NAKED EYE, BUT IT DON'T REALLY HAPPEN THAT WAY AT
ALL...

PETE TOWNSHEND