Re: CD's vs LP's (I love it

> RE>>CD's vs LP's (I love it)
My $.02...
 this has nothing to do wiht sound quality, amps, cd players, warmth, or
probably with anything too significant, but what the hell.

I like both cd's and vinyl for a variety of reasons (most of which will
not be mentioned here). But there is one area in which my love is for
vinyl. Well, actually it is not the vinyl specifically, but the cardboard
it comes in. That is album art. I hate it when they shrink album covers
to cd size. It destroys the art and makes much of the writing unreadable
much of the time. (Though some groups do get creative with there cd
covers, it is rare.) Example: I don't know how many of you out there are
George Clinton fans, but take a look at Parliament's album cover One
Nation Under a Groove, and you will see what I mean. Ther are lots of
cartoons and writing and all sorts of amusing stuff most of which is lost
on the cd because it is too small and can't be read or seen. Or look at
the original Velvet Underground album with the peel away banana. Due to
lack of creativity (or money) we are losing a whole area of art and fun
due to the take over of cds.
 Does this mean I don't like cds? Hell no. I love them, especially their
sound, but I want some interesting covers/some creativity. I'd also like
cd issues of albums to fold out to album size so that the art is intact.
And while I'm at it, I'd like to see recording companies to do more than
copy the album music to the cd. One of the best things about cds is the
quality of sound, I want to hear improved sound when I replace an
album with a cd, not just the same album sound stuck on a cd.

 Enough babbling for the moment.
Laura

Laura Plummer				* "Let's face it, you can't worship
Graduate School of Lib and Info Sci	*   a guy for destroying an
University of Texas at Austin		*   instrument in the name of rock."
liquid@fiat.gslis.utexas.edu		*        --Pete Townshend