Townshend doesn't care???

While I agree with Alan that I'M A BOY by Alice Cooper was terrific and Lour
Reed's NOW AND THEN was lousy, I would like to take issue with one of the
things he said!

>It was during the PSyD tour that I realized Pete doesn't give a >shit if he
forgets the words to songs, or (to a degree) if things >screw up onstage.
 He's just been doing it too long to get upset >over having to improvise a
line or verse.

I think that you are COMPLETELY wrong about this.  While Pete may be mature
enough to take minor mistakes in stride, I had the priviledge of seeing him
in concert on the PsychoDerelict Tour too.  I saw his show outside of Boston
(at Great Woods, MA).  The concert beginning was terrific... he sang some
great solo stuff (Rough Boys, Let My Love Open the Door), some classic stuff
(Pinball Wizard, See Me/Feel Me), and finally, it was time for the
Psychoderlict set.  Three songs into PschoD, he stopped and walked off stage.
 When he returned 1 minute later, he explained to the audience that the
technical display (the monitors, etc.) for the virtual reality were not
working correctly and that they were going to try to fix them.  He left again
and when he returned, he was noticeably furious.  He launched into a 17
minute explosive version of MAGIC BUS.  He then explained that the system was
not functioning correctly and that "we have all of this unbelievable
expensive equiptment and it doesn't [Pete's favorite explitive] work!"  He
promised for $100 anyone could come back stage after the show to see "the
definitive artist's tantrum" and promised that people would be dead.  He
decided to perform just the songs from PsychoDerelict (removing the special
effects and the actors) and then launched into an AMAZINGLY ecclectic
performance.  His anger was transfered into his music and he did songs he'd
not performed in decades during that show!  I've never seen a musician SO
angered by this error and it lead to one of the most amazing concerts he's
ever given... I'll certainly remember it always and I'll bet Pete will too!

Just wanted to make that point!

Josh Israel
Barrington, RI