Re: TheWho Digest Vol 2 Num 64

On Tue, 14 Mar 1995, TheWho Digest wrote:

> b/w--I am very interested in getting a copy of the acoustic/solo PD show PT
> did in London in May 1993 and the Toronto PD show.

I also.

> Date: Mon, 13 Mar 95 16:53:34 PST
> From: Mike.Westbrook@hcsd.hac.com (Mike Westbrook)
> Subject: Re: A dream collaboration.....
>
> } WHO should collaborate with Pete? Let's see..........
>
> I'd never really thought Pete was into blues all that much, even if the
> Who did Young Man Blues (in a *very* non-bluesy way), and also a Sonny
> Boy Williamson song on whatever the heck album it was ...  Course, he
> *was* a big fan of Booker T & the MGs ("Pete Townshend--I must remember
> that!").

Do you mean "Eyesight to the Blind"?

> } Elvis Costello? LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOOOOOVE IT!!!
> }
> Yeah, but Elvis has been doing all that crossover stuff lately--maybe he
> should sign up for the role of Tommy on Broadway?!

I would be very, VERY happy.  He's done a few things with other artists,
but I don't know even he's ever even met Townshend.  At any rate, he's
done some cool stuff (from jazz to brass band to classical), though his
latest album was with his original band and had material more typical to
his style in the late 70s/early 80s.  Next to Pete, I think Costello is
the best composer in rock and roll, and next to Freddie Mercury the best
singer.

> } Paul McCartney? Although Pete played guitar on Paul's song "Angry" from 1986's
> } Press To Play CD, and he and Macca are good friends, I think that both men are
> } so into their own shit that it couldn't be a truly collaborative effort.
> } One of them would have to run the show, not both.
> }
> This seems to imply that Pete couldn't collaborate with anyone not into Pete's
> shit, which is a bit much, je pense.  And Paul has certainly got a history of
> being able to collaborate, with one person, at least!  It may be more likely
> that Paul is just too damned _rich_ to *give* a shit!  (Couldn't happen to a
> nicer guy!)

Another E.C. note, McCartney and Costello have done stuff together (check
out some of the bass tracks on Spike).  It could be that he (McCartney)
is rich enough that he doesn't have to worry about wasting time, so he
can do any project that strikes his fancy.

Aaugh.  Enough.  Finals call....

** "Can you see the real me?"  ** Michael.S.Donnelly@lawrence.edu **
**            - Pete Townshend **       Lawrence University       **