Young Man Blues

I was listening to the new Leeds (big surprise) and was completely knocked
out again (like every time since I was 15) by the last minute of Young Man
Blues - the part that begins right after the third time Rog sings "they
step...BACK!" (4:09 on my CD timer).  PT starts off on this syncopated
single-string riff with Entwistle joining in.  Moon starts doing some
incredible bass-drum/cymbal work, almost beat for beat with PT.  The
section builds quickly, then right before he starts playing the main riff
of the song, PT lets a chord ring (I think a 3d chord, for you musicians)
for a second, fully distorted.  Moon and Entwistle hit the downbeat right
on the nose, underneath the chord that PT plays, then they all crash into
the main guitar line.  The end result is a mind-tearing explosion into the
main riff of the song.

I will be playing this section of this song for my grandchildren as the
*precise* moment when live rock music came of age...

Alan:  I also really like PT's backing vocal sounding far back on the
original Leeds - it made it sound like he was screaming, which always added
to the sense of abandon that this whole record creates.  I'm gettting used
to the new version.  Actually, it sounds like Pete is running up to the
mike when he's supposed to be there, something not uncommon for him, since
he was usually thrashing about the stage most of the time.

Doug:  that's an interesting comment you made about PT not liking Jimmy
Page - is there more on this someplace?  I didn't know that things were
that strained.

Have a good week, everyone!

OK,
KLW