Re: TheWho Digest Vol 2 Num 53

On Thu, Mar 2, 1995 3:48:56 AM TheWho Digest wrote:

>For years MCA Records has released their CD catalogs with the barest
>packaging possible with average to poor remastering.  Why the sudden
>improvement, change of ownership?   As of now Live at Leeds is the
>best re-issued rock album I can think of, and I have many re-issues.
>They've improved their approach over what they did to the Hendrix catalog,

>which I give kudos for inserting all of Hendrix's period singles with "Are
You
>Experienced".

The change wasn't with MCA but with the Who.  MCA has had little, if any,
involvement with the recent Hendrix and Who reissues.  Alan Douglas and Are
Your Experienced Productions have put together the Hendrix discs and Chris
Charlesworth and Jon Astley seem to do most of the work on the Who discs.
I've been complaining to MCA for years about the shoddy quality of the Who
CDs, and I have no doubt that the situation would remain unchanged if MCA
were left to its own devices.  Fortunately, a few people closely connected
with the Who realized that the existing CDs didn't take full advantage of
the medium, and that sales of the back catalog might increase if the CDs
were upgraded.  Perhaps they were influenced by the recent upgrading of
other artists' catalogs (Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd [in the UK],
Elvis Costello).