Re: Melody Maker review of AQO/WSO

On Sat, 29 Jul 1995, Joseph Grimes wrote:

Thanks Joe, for posting the MM review.

> Heinz beans, it crosses art-school intelligence with pop flash with neither
> being cheapened or degraded, and is, as such, a stupendous achievement.
>
> That, just two years later, Townshend could have come up with "Tommy", the
> epitome of everything--phoniness, pomposity, pop masquerading as capital
> "A" ART--that "Sell Out" debunks with such incisive, effortless glee, is
> unfathomable.

When something seems unfathomable, one should should check one's
premises.  Perhaps Mr. Parkes fails to perceive the art that _is_ in
"Tommy," proceeding instead on the premise that heroic/epic art is a
relic of an earlier age, no longer possible or relevant to our times?

Alan

"When I'm onstage...it's not like bein' possessed, it's just --
*I* *do* *my* *job*."  -- Pete Townshend