Re: Shea Stadium

Pete:

I think Pete was referring to the enormity of playing a stadium with such a
history (ala the Beatle's 1964 & 1965 concerts there). Maybe Pete was
uncomfortable with the underlying statement that such a gig seemed to make.
Sure, Giants, JFK, RFK, Veterans---all big places. But when your band plays
Shea, then man, you must either REALLY be a dinosaur, or on the last legs of
your performing career. Case In Point: The Police at Shea 8/18/83. I went to
the show, and Sting even said "I'd like to thank the Beatles for lending us
their stadium!" Sting was later quoted over the years as saying that when they
played Shea, it was (up to that point) the performance pinnacle of the band's
career. He said that when they reached that point, the group was so big that
it had made its mark and there was nowhere else to go. So they broke up.

And yes, Pete, money talks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm just glad that I had the
experience of seeing Pete and Roger separately in small places like the Beacon
Theatre, Tower Theatre in Philly, the Wolftrap in Va., & Massey Hall in
Toronto. Yes, the WHO's music IS huge, and unfortunately, stadiums are
the only places where the WHO will play in the U.S.. But at least when they
come to town solo, we can go to small places where they're more real, more
human, and are better able to interact with the audience. I mean, Pete was
taking requests, for Godsakes!! How much better can life get?!?!?!?!

Marty Secero