RE: Random Questions

On Wed, 20 Dec 1995 13:00:53 -0500 (EST)  Larry Lawthers wrote:
>Hello There You Fellow Who Nuts,
>
>The following are random questions/thoughts I would like your
comments/answers
>on:
>
>1) Is it true that Entwistle played with Pete in 1993, possibly California,
for
>one show, in a very impromptu way.  If so, what do you know about how it
went
>down and how the show was?

     Yes, it happened at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles, July 1993.  It
was a GREAT show!  I also went to the San Diego show a few days later
because it was advertised as Townshend Live, Unplugged, and Unpredictable.
I payed $35 for the L.A. show and $100 for the S.D. benefit.  The L.A. show
was much better.  The two were basically identical except for a surprise
guest (Michael Cervis who played Tommy on Broadway) at S.D.  Pete decided at
the last minute that he wanted to bring his whole band along for the S.D.
show.  I read into that that Pete might have been tired or just didn't feel
like being original after having played at Berkeley the day before (I
think).  I had envisioned dreams of seeing him ala "The Secret Policemen's
Ball."
     As for John playing with Pete at the Wiltern, about halfway through the
concert (after they finished Psychoderelict) he said that there was someone
special watching from the side of the stage.  We had a feeling it was John
and hoped Pete would ask him.  Pete went offstage for a couple of minutes
and the crowd waited.  As Alan McKendree has stated before, it didn't take
much convincing to get John to play.  John took the bass player's guitar and
tried adjusting it to him.  It took a while as John was messing with the
knobs, a pick, and having a heck of a time.  Then he just said fuck it,
threw away the pick, and blazed away with his fingers.  The energy was
fantastic!  The whole band played many Who songs and it was obvious that
Pete and John were having a great time together.  Pete had said that it was
about a week or two since they had played Chicago (their previous PD
concert).  When Pete's excited and into the evening, it can be tremendous.

Tim Herrlinger