Pete's Ears and Shanana

>From: SPUNKI@aol.com

>re: Woodstock--

>If you don't think Sha Na Na blew all these other jokers off the stage
>at Woodstock, you must still be feeling the effects of the brown acid.

>--scott s.

I'm sorry but I don't get it....

>Dear Mr. Biggs,I would be most appreciative if you
>are able to point me to any info you know of on the
>net which deals specifically with Pete`s hearing pro-
>blem, for which many thanks.Eg. I can`t understand
>why he can`t play loud electric but was able in 89
>to stand on a still loud stage, sing in time, etc..

>From what I know, Pete suffers from something called tinnitis.
It is a very annoying inner/middle ear problem which produces a buzzing
noise in your ear due to A) blowing your ears out from using headphones
while jamming at number 10 on your amp for too many years (Pete did this),
B) cranking up your walkman too loud for too many years (I did this) or C)
some infection. There is no known cure for it; though I've been told that
listening to white noise will mask out the buzzing and bells and other
noises (which remind me of a brain doing its work).  It doesn't necessarily
make you completely deaf, which is probably why Pete can still keep a rhythm
and play along with others.

Long time listener, (about) 5th time caller

lynn shimabukuro blair
university of wisconsin-madison
photo media center
preflight/digital imaging