RE: The Who Digest Vol 2 Num 323

>Oh, Please...  Zep focused way more on solos than the Who ever did.
>Name one song where Moon had a drum solo of the magnitude of Moby Dick.
>How many Who songs were about Norse or Celtic myths?  Did Zep ever write
>any songs that dealt with their personal lives and feelings?
>
>If anything, Live at Leeds copied not Led Zeppelin, but the style from
>which Zep was born, with extended improvisational soloing as typified by
>Cream, though of course Pete & the boys put their own unmistakeable style
>on it and made it unique.

Shane:
It's obvious that you haven't heard any early live Who. Even on the Marquee
Club boot from 1964 the band is doing the extended improvisational soloing
that Cream later made famous...and so the "style" you claim came from
Zepplin was present in The Who even before Page joined The Yardbirds. The
chicken and the egg, remember? The Who created what Zep made famous. By the
time The Who made it to LP, that sort of soloing wasn't commercial. Then
again, listen to The Ox on MY GENERATION. Listen to Relax or My Generation
on Fillmore East `68. Yeah, The Who were there first.
Of course, Page was more Blues-based while Townshend developed his own
unique syle (which had its beginnings in his early banjo playing).
Re: Moon's soloing. Of course not! He soloed the entire time. He didn't need
to do one without the band. Thank the Universal Mind! Nothing is more boring
than a drum solo after the first time you hear it.
Well, maybe The Firm...

>Led Zeppelin may have stolen a lot of stuff from a lot of people and used
>it for their own purposes, but on the list of influences for Led
>Zeppelin, the Who would probably come in around the same place Beatles.

No, no, no...The Who were more influential on everyone than The Beatles were
anyway. Look at today's Rock music. Look at any period, except for just
after the time The Beatles made it. Does it sound more like The Beatles or
The Who? Well, there you go...

         Cheers                         ML