Re: Replacing Daltrey

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Mark Leaman wrote:
> >I really don't know about this.  Basically it's an argument of who
> >came first (in style and direction) the chicken or the egg?  When I
> >saw Tanglewood for the first time, I swore I saw a Robert Plant
> >clone in terms of stance and how Roger sung his songs.  Then again
> >it's fairly obvious Plant lifted a thing a two from a band that he
> >never acknowledges as an influence.  Plant was always great to come
> >up with some obscure blues musician from the late 20's.  The truth
> >is his mannerisms come from what he calls "pop" music.
>
> Well, if it's the chicken or the egg, The Who were certainly first. Page was
> merely Talmy's pet session man in `65. Daltrey was a major player while
> Plant was playing in clubs.
> Are you sure that it's Plant that came up with those Blues songs? I would
> have thought it was Page.

I've heard a rumor that the bass part on You Really Got Me (the original
recording) was played by Jimmy Page.  Has anyone else heard this?

Also, a fun fact about Led Zeppelin:  Except for Bonham, all the other
three band members were at one point bassists.

> >As for voice, I've always been a fan of Daltrey's, because
> >Plant has this tendency to whine.  At least Daltrey's register is
> >slightly lower.
>
> I would have to say that pre-`74, Plant had the most versatile voice in
> Rock. I love Daltrey's, of course...it is pure Rock, but also limited to Rock.

I think the 'most versatile voice in rock' award has to go to Deep
Purple's Ian Gillan.  (Have you ever heard his vocal-imitates-guitar
sequence?  It's really quite unbelievable.)  Also, I've always thought
Pete had a great voice early on.

---I pheel [sic]--L-e-v-