Re: Other choices for drummers

> > Little
> >muffling as possible (the opposite popular today among many drummers, Simon
> >Phillips not immune)
>
> What muffling would today's drummers be doing besides the pillow in the bass
> drum? I usually see toms with no bottom, Keith included. What is being
> muffled?

Toms with no bottoms??  Not typical of today's drum styles.  I
haven't seen many sets with bottomless toms since the early
80's.  Usually drummers will muffle the top head if just slightly,
which adds more punch.  This has always been popular in rock music
over other styles.  Most of your jazz and fusion drummers still tend
to play without much muffling.