Re: Other choices for drummers

Jeff, re:

>but I just can't frickin' possibly believe what anyone can see in the dude's
>drumming.  Maybe it was the mix, but the drum rolls seemed kinda eighties
techno whatever... It's just my impression, but I can't shake
>it....

For "mix" problems, compare Simon's drumming on the "Deep End" video with The
Who '89. Huge difference.

> C'mon folks, do you think Moon got that snappy crispy drumming and
>the mix as it showed up in various records by mistake?  Hell f**kfire no!
 Premier drums have, in the style Moon used, thin shells, combined with
>a tight and thin drum head, almost a tympani-like sound.  It was the perfect
blend to somewhat mimic the orchestral sound Townshend was after in some
incarnations of his music...
>Even the very early R&B stuff had hints of it... The only think lacking back
then was a consistent mix, but that was cured after a few years..

Moon got killed in many of mix. I'll point to the studio version of "Heaven
And Hell" first. Then, I'll got to the tin cans of "Sell Out" (does that
really sound like Keith's drums?) or even the studo "Magic Bus" (any
version). If Moon were being judged on that alone, this whole thread would be
moot.

WF <~