RE:

On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Gary Lang wrote:

> At 12:37 AM 12/3/95 -0500, you wrote:
> >   If the "cabaret act" line sounds familiar, it's because it's straight from
> >the mouth of Pete himself.
>
> Yes I saw the TKAA a dozen times, own the video, etc. That was my point, it
> wasn't an original comment and the tying the observation to Jones seemed
> a bit simple.

I agree, Jones didn't make them a cabaret act, coming back for '89
though, that's another story.

> > The main problem for Moon was the Who's sporadic touring
> >schedule in the late 70's- it was during the off-time between tours that
> Keith's
> >skills deteriorated the most.

As did his liver.

> >   But the fact is, the members of the Who made a very poor choice to replace
> >Keith.  Kenny not only couldn't come up with original stuff as good as Keith's,
> >but he couldn't even replicate Keith's playing on the older material- the Who
> >just didn't sound like the Who with Kenny.  Were they still a good band?  Yea,

One other thing, outside the relative merits of Jones' drumming is the
fact that he wasn't one of the charter members of the band, and wouldn't
have had the swing that Keith would have.  If Pete told him to do
something, he would do it, where Keith would have done it only if it
suited him.  In the 30Yrs Max R&B, Pete said that 'as soon as Keith joined
the band there was 4 people competing for attention' and when Keith died,
the balance that had been set up and proven successful, was lost.

As for original material, Cry If You Want has always been one of my top 5
favourite Who songs, and I don't think Keith would have really done it
any better if he'd been alive.

Shane Matheson					MechEng/CompSci UWO

west'ern n.	a motion picture about cowboys in the western U.S.
en'gi'neer n.	one in charge of engines or other technical equipment
west'ern en'gi'neer n.  the train driver who always gets shot in the
		motion picture about cowboys in the western U.S.

		-- excerpt from "The HitchHiker's Guide
		  to Western Engineering Fall 95 Edition"