Re: I'm The Face

>> It was standard practice in the '50s and '60s to rip off blues artists--
>> borrow a lyric here, a song title there, a guitar riff there, etc.  And
>> then you credit the song as an original.
>
>I think one of the more blatant examples of this is Led Zep's "Whole
>Lotta Love", which is just Willie Dixon's "You Need Love" with the words
>'Whole lotta' substituted for 'You need' in the refrain.

Well, I wouldn't say "blatant."  Yes, a lot of the lyrics from "Whole
Lotta Love" are borrowed from Dixon's "You Need Love."  But the music is
100% original.

P.S.  Robert Plant actually based his lyrics on "You Need Lovin'" by The
Small Faces, who also stole the song from Dixon.

Later,

Scott
(swandwn@agora.rdrop.com)