Re: "A milestone in high-tech audio entertainment"

>On this subject- has anyone heard of such a thing as laser turntables?
>These would be turntables which exhibited absolutely no wear on your
>records- collector's dream.  It seems like the technology is available
>if there's enough demand.
>
>Also, what's the intended pricing on these records?

I've heard of such a thing.  Believe it or not, they do exist.  I remember
reading about them in audio magazines a few years ago.  The process works
much the same way as a compact disc player, but, instead of using a stylus to
play records, a laser reads the groove.  It would be a collectors dream come
true. NO RECORD WEAR.  I wrote Ian G. Masters who writes the Q&A column for
Stereo Review and asked him about them.  My letter wasn't printed, but I did
recieve a response in the mail.  Basically, what I was told is that price is
the main consideration here.  As far as I know the only people that have them
are places like the Smithsonian who do a lot of work with old vinyl like the
78s where no master tapes exist.  I'm sure all us vinyl junkies would love
one, the question is how much would we be willing to pay for them.
In my opinion, the only way something like this would make it onto the market
is if enough people expressed demand for them.  If anyone can expand on this
please do so.

lpjunkie