John Entwhistle and Ringo's All-Starr Band

Caught the show last night in Dallas ... pretty much a middlin'-to-poor
nostalgia act highlighted by John's bass-playing, Nils Lofgren's
solo opening act, and Billy Preston's 'lectric piano jams.  I left with
the inescapable urge to go buy some platform shoes and bell-bottoms.
I fought it with the Clash's first album when I got home and felt better.

Nils was fantastic.  His acoustic guitar sound reminds me a lot of
Richard Thompson.  Go see him if you get a chance, and buy an
album; the guy's better than you think.

John is still, for my money, the preeminent melodic bass player in rock.
Even backing up Mark Farner (of Bland Funk Railroad) on The Locomotion
he managed to shine.  I did remark to a friend during a long, drawn-out
"I'm Your Captain" that "John's probably thinking that Pete would have
kicked him the balls and sent him off by now", though.  I can't say John
ever looked bored, but I can't imagine he got much excitement playing
Ringo's "Don't Come Easy" or "Photograph".

John got to do Boris and My Wife, although he forgot the last verse to
the latter.  Still, five-plus minutes of MW beat seven of "Takin' Care of
Business" hands down, even with John's incredible solo on BTO's song.

Nils came out for the encore (what else: A Little Help from My Friends),
but his guitar was pretty much drowned out by Randy Bachman & Mark
Farner's amps.  For the most part I had to strain to hear John's bass, too,
unfortunately; he was the most entertaining (musically) thing about the
main show.  Wish they had kept Nils out for the whole show.

The Lineup, for the record:  Felix Cavaliere (Young Rascals), Randy
Bachman (Bachman-Turner-Overdone) , Mark Farner (GFR), Billy
Preston (Beatles, Stones, etc), Ringo (Barbara Bach) , John (The Who),
Zak (Son of Ringo; main drummer), and a backup guitar/sax man
named Mark B-something.

Highlight of the show:  John introduced "My Wife" as ... 'a song only
my lawyer knows the lyrics to'.

Lowlight of the show:  Ringo needs to watch some more Mick Jagger
videos and perfect the strut.

What's that climbing up my wall?
Rich

richl27314@aol.com
"everybody knows this is nowhere"  --  NY