Re: Who Came First

Tom Grier wrote:

> Jonathan L. Proulx <jlproulx@mailbox.syr.edu>> wrote:

>> Regarding Who Came first ... the Rykodisk re-issue on CD.

>> The notes on the case are supposedly Pete's hand-written notes.
>> They include this gem: "All instruments, vocals, recording, engineering,
>> mixing, synthesizers, in fact everything except making the tea, in one
>> (can't read the word) ego trip, by Pete Townshend.
>> Also produced by Pete Townshend."

>> The cover is a neat picture of Pete in one of his all white work suits,
>> standing on what looks like foam egg-crate stuff.  He has a beard and
>> wears a Baba pin on his shirt pocket.  The CD sounds grea, too.
>> Rykodisk RCD 10246

>This is the same cover as the original lp, which I have ans was just readin
>about two nights ago.  I worked over the word you couldn't read and finally
>decided its "massive."

It certainly doesn't look like "massive" to me.  It think Lisa Palmer's
"aynormouse" is much closer to the real word, but I think it's unlikely
that Pete was writing that as a variation of "enormous".  I think it's
actually a completely made-up word -- "gyromouse".  I always thought of
it as a play on words; as in "gyro", which means constantly spinning or
moving, and "mouse", which is obvious.

Ron Crandall