Re: Nicky Hopkins dies and Keith Richards....

> In everything I've read, it seems Keith Richards sees Pete and the
> Who as a band that annoys him.  I remember in Maximum R+B by Richard
> Barnes (I loved that book so much the binding fell apart) that Pete
> asked Keith if he could use the windwill style, which Keith "sorta"
> did in the early Stones concerts.  Keith's response was  "I
> don't care"... basically he was saying "yeah whatever kid, get out
> of here".

 What would *you* say if someone asked for the loan of your
 windmill ?

> Does anyone know the real relationship between them?

 Rhetorical question I should've thought .....

 As it might have stood at the time when their bands were in any
 serious sort of contention, I think you have it. Fan-worship.
 Stones are as good as US citizens these day, which alters so much
 of the perspective, but back when it was English groups in England,
 the level of competetion was much fiercer. And The Who *were* great
 fans.

 Stones always worked on their "Royalty" number (and once The Beatles
 were out of the way the field was theirs) but as a live band purely
 in power terms, they were very hard-pressed by The Who through 66/7/8,
 up to the time they bounced back with Beggars & Jumping Jack Flash.
 May not see it now, but for a while The Stones audience was in danger
 of becoming teenie, with The Who drawing the young, mostly male
 audience. Your girlfriend loved Brian Jones but tuffboys liked
 The Who. S'how it was for a while !

 The real antipathy I think was between Richards & Beck.

.\\