Interview with Roger in September Record CollectorSun Dec 7 12:14:22 PST 1997

Quite a reasonable interview with Roger appears in the September edition of
(UK) Record Collector (I've not seen/read that many interviews with RD so
some of it may be old hat!).  It appears to be linked in with the release of
the box - ie it's basically in chronological order and ends c. 1978!  Roger
seems to be in very positive mood and full of praise for Pete, John and
Keith.

Quick skim-Tid-bits I've picked up so far (paraphrasing):

 - Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere was written 'on stage' - hence, I guess, the
Townshend/Daltrey credit.
 - See My Way on AQO is actually the Townshend/Daltrey demo(!) and was "never
recorded by The Who" (although a BBC version exists!).
 - ICSFM was the first single which required a "long session" to complete -
ie "a day".
 - On the subject of The Who vs The Kinks (ICExplain), Roger goes on to
suggest picturing Ray Davies singing Pictures of Lily and how that actually
makes it much more of a Kinks song than a Who song.  (I think he's probably
right!)
 - Roger is (on separate occasions) asked what he thinks of all the Who
albums.  In each instance, he just loves them!
 - He doesn't like the mix of Quadrophenia - not at all like it was in the
studio.
 - He doesn't like John's Quadrophenia remix either...
 - He's really not sure why the bulk of Live at Leeds isn't on the album...
 - No discussion of re-issues, live box set etc.
 - The frequent band in fighting is discussed on and off.  I wasn't aware
that he actually knocked PT out during a 'fight' while they were performing
Quadrophenia for the cameras (although it would appear that the cameras
weren't rolling).  He's not a bully, but "a hard man"!
 - He mentions John's "Smash Your Head Against The Wall" album as the root of
the next ten years of Siouxsie and The Banshees.
 - On the subject of Lifehouse, he says the dialogue was not strong enough
(the music was clearly excellent) and that it would have taken 3 years to
finish.  Adding Pure & Easy to Who's Next would just make it a longer great
album.

More later (perhaps)

MCW