Re: Clapton and Townshend

In 1973 Eric Clapton was so strung out on heroin that he was becoming
a recluse. He hadn't performed in two years. Pete Townshend had been
a friend of Clapton's for years. He realised that Clapton was in big
trouble with his addiction, and decided that the best way for him
to overcome it would be to go back to the stage. Townshend, and a
few others (I don't remember who) went over to Clapton's pad and
gave him the encouragement to kick the habit. They proposed 'The Rainbow
Concert' to him. That concert would be his big comeback, with
tons of guest artists supporting his musical rebirth. (including Townshend,
Traffic, and The Faces' Ron Wood) Hearing 'Layla' at the start of the
concert after a two year drug hiatus wasw supposedly one of the most
incredible moments in musical history. His comeback was a huge success
and although 'The Rainbow Concert' album simply does not capture
the majic of it (it doesn't even have 'Layla' on it!) the concert was
a wonderful rebirth for Clapton. Clapton felt quite indebted to
Townshend for his help. He offered to do anything to repay him.
"Be in my film!" suggested Townshend. He, of course meant Ken Russell's
'Tommy'. Even though he said he'd do anything, he was quite hesitant
about playing his part in the film. This, coupled with the fact
that Clapton was going through heavy withdrawl around the time of
filming, is what created the eerie 'church scene' in Russel's film.
Wasn't the Hawker written as an upbeat role. Clapton's Hawker is
almost scary, he's so low key, but then again, he wasn't quite in
the state of mind to belt out the lines with their proper emotion,
as Steve Winwood (by far my favorite Hawker) did at the end of the
reunion tour. Clapton fulfilled his debt to Townshend by reluctantly
taking part in the movie. To my knowledge, they have rarely worked
together since. Hope this helps!