Giants Stadium '89 tours

OK folks - a few thoughts on the Giants Stadium '89 gigs.

I saw 5 shows in '89, most with a friend who first saw the Who open for Herman'sHermits iin '67.  We have seen almost 50 shows between the two of us (I go back to '73).  Yes, the '89 Who was a somewhat different band but they certainly
captured more of the flavor of the old Who than they did in '82!  The jams on
songs likI'm A Man, My Wife, and their cover of Hendrix Hey Joe were almost
like 1970.  Further, the intensity was certainly there in '89.  The opening
night of the Giants Stadium shows (6/29) was one that we both agreed was
one of the top 10 we had ever seen.  Even ultimate Who cynic Dave Marsh gave
that show a good review.

I have always thought that it is hard for a concert video to capture the
true feel of a show, and that was certainly true of the VH-1 edit.  Remember -
their edit was very safe, with all of the really "interesting" songs removed.

Just my two cents...

- Mason