Stuff from Zep FAQL

	I got the following from a FAQL on the Led Zeppelin mailing list
and I thought it was probably of interest here too.

>  In 1967, Robert Plant and John Bohnam come together in the Band Of
Joy.  In March of the same year, Jeff Beck releases a solo single
entitled "Hi Ho Silver Lining," which is backed with Page composition
entitled "Beck's Bolero."  This song is recorded by Page, Beck, Nicky
Hopkins, John Paul Jones, and Keith Moon.  At this session Moon and John
Entwistle, who are tired of The Who's infighting, discuss forming a band
with Page and Beck.  It is here that Moon announces that they should call
the group Lead Zeppelin, because, "... it'll go over like a ***in'lead
balloon!"  (The "a" was later removed from "Lead" so that Americans would
pronounce it correctly.)  John Entwistle claims that it was _he_, not
Moon, who invented the name.  Entwistle:
	"Led Zeppelin is a good name, isn't it?  I made it up.  Everybody
says Keith Moon make it up, but he didn't.  About four years ago I was
really getting fed up with the Who...  and I was talking with a fellow
who is the production manager for the Led Zeppelin now.  I was talking to
him down in a club in New York.  And I said, 'Yeah, I'm thinking of
leaving the group and forming my own group.  I'm going to call the group
Led Zeppelin.  And I'm going to have an LP cover with like the Hindenburg
going down in flames, and, you know, this whole business.'  And like two
months later he was working for Jimmy Page and, like, they were looking
for a name, and so he suggested Led Zeppelin, and Page liked it, and they
came out with the same LP cover that I'd planned."
	This "production manager" would have been Richard Cole, which
suggests that Cole was responsible for naming Led Zeppelin.  However, in
the absence of definitive proof either way the Keith Moon version will
>stand.
end of story

Just thought it was kind of interesting.  The song "Beck's Bolero" can be
found on his album "Truth."  Keith plays timpani on one song that I know
of but I don't know what else.  The rest of the album is really
good. (Rod Stewart on vocals, Ron Wood on bass, Micky
Waller on most of the drum parts.)

shanon

Shanon Dell                     |
Radio/Television Broadcasting   |  "Deaf, dumb, and blind boy, he's in a
University of Montana           |   quiet vibration land..."
tommy@selway.umt.edu            |