Re: Saturday night's ... questions

On Fri, 18 Nov 1994, Tom Grier wrote:

> At the risk of sounding stupid  ( afrequent occurrence for me, I'm afraid)
> I'll ask this question:  Is the "Saturday Night's Allright For Fighting"
> that everyone's been talking about lately on the "Two Rooms" collection
> that is a tribute to E.John and B. Taupin?

	Yep, that's the one.  It's also the last song on the box set.

> I ask, because I just heard the song on a local radio station this morning
> and I liked it.  At first I thought it was just Roger solo, but in the
> second part of the song ("Take Me To The Pilot"?) I'm pretty sure I head
> Pete on backing vocals.

	That's Pete on lead vocals for "Take Me to The Pilot" with Astley doing
the backups.

  The guitar in places sounds like Pete's playing.
> But, I really couldn't hear any bass that sounded like John playing ...

	It's hard to hear John until after the third chorus (I think
that's where it is) when they crank the bass part up, and you have to
really be listening just to hear that.  Personally, I think the bass
part should have been turned up throughout the song.  I really don't like
the mix for this song, a lot of things could have been done better to
give it more of a "Who" sound.
       Despite this, and despite the use of the phony drums, I can't
help but like the song.  I think Roger's vocals are the key.

> Now all of these ovbservations come from ONE LISTEN, over a radio station
> that has a fairly weak signal in my area.  Any comments or help will be
> appreciaited.

	One other thing.  I don't think Pete was even in the studio at
the same time Roger and John were there to record the song.  I saw an
interview, recorded during the recording session, in which John and Roger
are the only ones there.  They showed clips of Roger and John laying down
there tracks, but no Pete.  Just an observation.

shanon
Shanon Dell                     |
Radio/Television Broadcasting   |  "Deaf, dumb, and blind boy, he's in a
University of Montana           |   quiet vibration land..."
tommy@selway.umt.edu            |                   -- The Who's "Tommy"