Re: Who Comeback? No.

>>Kyle writes:
>> To carry on as The Who would be a serious mistake to me, kind of like the
>> Eagles tour or the Robert Plant/Jimmy Page "Led Zep" thing.  THE WHO died
>> with Keith Moon.

>Rich responds:
> Hmm... although i don't want to see the aging rocker reunion type
> crap either, you have to admit that some acts are able to continue without
> becoming parodies of themselves.  The Stones still manage to rock the crowd,
> as they recently did in Salt Lake City where I live (they hadn't been here
> since 1966!!).  I guess this is why I am disappointed with the "Join
> Together" performance... its too much like listening to Who Muzak.

My $.02:
I liked both the Eagles show and the Plant/Page thing, mainly because they were
both done so that the artists were playing *within their bounds*: Plant wasn't
trying to hit those nut-twisting high notes, because we know and HE knows that
it just isn't possible anymore.  As for the Stones,... I don't like the current
(or last ten years') tour because they are trying to sound like they always
have.  Mick has very little character left in his voice, and it hurts to hear
"It's Only Rock N Roll" sung in a monotone groan.  I'd like to see the Stones
sit down for an Unplugged style show.  Maybe they'd sound more like the *Exile
On Main Street* days, but I think that's when they were the best.  My point is
that the remaining members of the Who CAN carry on in a new direction.  I agree
that the last few tours have sounded very watered down because of the horns
drowning out the Who and the fact that Moon is gone.

>...They know that if The Who played a gig they couldn't leave out "My
>Generation" or "Magic Bus" because too many fans (and critics) would be so
>disappointed, so they plod through it even though they may be bored to tears
>with it and hate it by now.

I'll point to the recent Eric Clapton tour, where he states to the audience in
the beginning of the show that they will NOT be nearing "Layla," "White Room"
or "Cocaine."  The response has been tremendous.  He is sticking to what he
feels is best for him, and people are accepting it without much problem.  I
like to think that the fans of PT and the Who would give the same license.  I
belive that serious fans like those on this list and critics as well would
rather see the past body of work respectfully laid to rest than to see it
become a parody of itself.  Imagine the Who headlining at the Sands in Vegas or
playing at your county fair.

>> I would love to see Townshend, Daltrey, and Entwisitle
>> work together in the future, perhaps writing as the people they ARE, not
>> what they were.

>Agreed!

Who wouldn't?!  Somebody let PT know that it would be OK...!

>Hmm... with the exception of McVicar, I always ignored Daltrey's solo
>stuff as I didn't listen to The Who for his voice, but for Townshend's
>songwriting sung by Roger.

You're missing a gem: *Ride a Rock Horse* will remind you of Roger's vocal
contributions to the sound of the Who.

OK,
KLW