Shel Talmy

>From: Rich Thomson <legalize@xmission.xmission.com>
>
>In article <00981CDE.ED6BC480.9375@cvi.hahnemann.edu>,
>    "Anthony J. Rzepela" <rzepela@cvi.hahnemann.edu>  writes:
>> similarities between "I Can't Explain" and "All of the Day and All
>> of the Night", [...]
>
>Am I the only person that _doesn't_ find any obvious similarity to
>these two songs?  I mean, sure there are the common guitar riffs, but
>isn't every rock song pretty much a variant on a theme from this
>period anyway?

I agree that they don't seem real similar at first.  The melodies
don't seem the same at all.  But as I run them through my head I
can see similiarities in the rhythm.  And the tempo has got to be
almost dead-on the same.  They both rely on that variation of the
standard R-n-R/Surf music beat one-TWO-three-FOUR-AND, but so does
a gazillion other songs of the era.  Someone with a better ear for
chords then me would have to comment on whether they have the same
chord changes.  But again, it's not like you could go copyright
the I-IV-V progression!

I do find the comment by Ray interesting though.  But even if they
did emulate some of their song style, The Who sure quickly took
it in their own direction as far as performances were concerned.
The Kinks are/were a great live act, but still not in the same
league as our boys.
   Paul Stevens                        {apple|decwrl}!metaphor!pstevens
   Metaphor Computer Systems           pstevens@metaphor.com
   Mountain View, CA