Re: misc. stupid questions... et al

> John sez:

>1)  [Magic Bus lyrics] something like "....(something) and
>six pence every day

>I always thought it was "tuppence."  I wouldn't take the next >step of
claiming that that necessarily makes sense, though.

Yep, it makes sense, "*thruppence* and sixpence everyday, just to drive to my
baby"
That's what it costs to ride the Magic Bus. Thruppence I believe is British
three-penny piece. Are they still used?

I guess Roger wants to buy the Magic Bus to save the fare it costs to visit
his girl everyday.

> 3) Although I have listened to it more and think I understand >the story,
what are your thoughts on the song(s) Rael?

>I'll just mention that for years I thought the opening line was >"The
wretched in their millions" rather than "The Red Chins..."  >I still think my
mistaken version works pretty well; seems >like Pete (or any lyricist) would
have noticed the similarity >in the two phrases.  "Red Chins" is a pretty odd
name/phrase >anyway; where could he have come up
>with that term if not by starting with the word "wretched" >and tweaking it?

"Red Chins" is most likely a hidden Townshendoid catch phrase for  Red
Chinese or rather a fictional equivalent - in the millions overspilling the
borders of the singer's beloved homeland of Rael. I always assumed that
fleshed out Rael would have been a political allegory/rock opera. Lyrics seem
to suggest a border war, a returning "native son" and a mutinous crew that
intends to steal his yacht no matter which signal flag he raises. Maybe PT
was crafting a Swiftian political satire like "Gulliver's Travels" - "Rael,
the home of my religion, to me the center of the Earth."

Pete P.
paypar@netcom.com