Re:Ray Reply

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> <snip>
> >
> > Some of these people figure if we trade Walker for some unproven,
> > one-dimensional, chunky kid who's too short and can't dribble (can
> > anyone honestly dispute the last two facts about Elton Brand?), well at
> > least we can make up for this likely blunder by finding another
> > Walker-calibre championship building block through the draft in another
> > decade or so (assuming we're the lucky team among all the 29 out there).
> >
> > Joe
>
> Ha ha.  How much dribbling do you have to do if you're two feet away
> from the
> hoop and have just used your athletic bulk to move defenders out.
> Not much, and can you deny that Mr. Brand can rebound and score.

I don't wish any bad fortunes on Chunky Boy just because he chose to be the
first player from Duke (that's not spelled "Dook") to declare hardship despite
having a glaringly flawed, one-dimensional game and saying fuhgettaboutit to
his chance of winning a collegiate championship for his school.

> As far as being short, he's the same size as Oakley, bigger than Rodman
> and Mason, Traylor, Williamson, Fortson, etc.

But do you think he's mongoose quick like Rodman, or even in the bizzaro
speed/coordination category of Traylor and Mason? Bottom line is you must have
seen Brand play and are aware of his strengths and limitations (I just
received my Final Four videotapes myself). Moreover, he is not "bigger" on
paper than any of the other, lesser players you mention (whom I will
charitably assume you don't advocate as Antoine Walker talents, but wish you
would make clear).

Elton Brand is a classic big man on campus. Physically he is an exceptionally
mature man playing among boys (like NBA-duds Pearl Washington, Mark Macon and
Quinn Buckner years ago). BTW, one player I believe you could  compare Brand
to very accurately in terms of body weight and mobility is Waymon Tisdale, the
only genuine "can't miss" member of  the 1984 US Olympic Team. Waymon Tisdale
averaged over 30ppg (on a ridiculously high FG%)and well over 10rpg at
Oklahoma for several years and deservedly won several National Player of the
Year awards. That Olympic team featured other explosive collegiate scoring
phenoms like Chris Mullin and Leon Wood, not to mention obvious pro prospects
like Ewing, Jordan, Alvin Robertson. But it was because of Waymon Tisdale that
Charles Barkley was cut from that team, despite blowing everyone away during
tryouts.

> Can Brand defend other power forwards?  I can't say.  I do know however
> that Walker can't and whether he's with the team next season or not, there
> will be somone else starting at power forward.
> Ray

I agree and hope you're right, Ray. I'd love to see a taller, tougher lineup
next year even if it features an unselfish, pure and consistent rebounding,
veteran power forward along the lines of a Rambis, Iavaroni, or Popeye Jones.
By contrast, I'd love to see explosive size mismatches and multi-dimensional
contributions (especially rebounding) focused at the 2 and 3 (Toine, Pierce
and Mercer).

It's nuts but I haven't given up on this year.

Joe