Peter May: Walker Voices Frustration

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                HAWKS 77, CELTICS 70
                                Celtics, fans turn ugly

                                Walker voices frustrations after grim loss

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 04/15/99

                                The captain has had enough. The
                                coach says the captain has had
                                enough. Antoine Walker and Rick Pitino
                                took turns last night wondering about the
                                so-called home-court advantage in the NBA,
                                something that is very much missing in the
                                FleetCenter these days.

                                With the smallest crowd in the Pitino Era
                                (15,364) looking on, and noisemakers
                                targeting a struggling Walker (3 of 12
                                from the floor) from the first quarter on,
                                the Celtics dropped a demoralizing 77-70
                                decision to the very undermanned Atlanta
                                Hawks. Afterward, Pitino and Walker each
                                addressed what has become a thorny issue:
                                the ongoing booing of Walker and the team,
                                a situation that prompted the coach at the
                                end of the game to turn to a disgruntled
                                fan and shout, ''Why don't you go home?''

                                In addition, Walker offered the somewhat
                                startling observation that he no longer
                                considers himself the main offensive
                                option on the team. He barely leads Ron
                                Mercer in field goal attempts, although he
                                has been the Celtics' leading scorer all
                                season. He also said he still is adjusting
                                to this situation, adding, ''I'm trying to
                                figure out what my role is on this team
                                ... I don't know yet. I'm in the process
                                of trying to figure that out.''

                                Walker, who is making $2 million this
                                season but signed a six-year, $71 million
                                extension this past offseason, was an easy
                                target last night, turning in one of his
                                more dreadful games of the year. He had 6
                                points, 4 rebounds, and 1 assist in 33
                                foul-plagued minutes. But the fans were on
                                him uncommonly early, starting with
                                Boston's hideous 12-point first quarter
                                and again at the end, when Atlanta went on
                                a 9-0 run over the final 3:39 to settle
                                things.

                                Pitino, who prefaced his remarks by noting
                                there have been times that the team and
                                Walker have deserved the boos,
                                nevertheless said he thought the fans went
                                a bit overboard.

                                ''The kid [Walker] is not going to want to
                                do anything out there. He's going to be
                                afraid, tentative,'' Pitino said. ''Cut
                                him a break a little bit because he's
                                trying awfully hard out there.''

                                Addressing the crowd issue, Walker said,
                                ''How would you feel if you were out
                                there, trying hard, and you're getting
                                booed every time you miss a shot? Put
                                yourself in my place. I enjoy basketball.
                                I love playing basketball. But it's
                                uncomfortable ... Maybe I'm not the type
                                of player Boston fans want. They have high
                                standards and I'm going to try and meet
                                them.''

                                He added, ''It's to the point, where, if I
                                have a bad game, boo me. I take a shot you
                                don't like, so you boo? That may be the
                                play that's called. It's ridiculous. If
                                you're going to come to the game and do
                                that ... we need the fans' support. We're
                                a young team. Last year, this was a very
                                difficult place to play [for opponents].
                                Unfortunately, it's not that way this
                                year.''

                                No, it isn't. The Celtics dropped to 8-10
                                at home. The Hawks were missing three
                                starters, including their top two scorers
                                and had played the night before. But one
                                of the Celtics' goals for the game was to
                                not get dominated on the boards, which is
                                what happened the last time the teams met
                                and is exactly what Atlanta did again last
                                night. The Hawks had a 51-40 rebounding
                                advantage and got some huge offensive
                                rebounds in the final two minutes,
                                allowing them to keep the ball and work
                                the clock.

                                The Celtics trailed most of the game, but
                                led, 70-68, after a free throw by Vitaly
                                Potapenko with 3:39 left. They didn't
                                score again, missing their last four
                                shots. Mookie Blaylock (5 of 17) hit a
                                layup to tie the score, then, after the
                                ultra-long Atlanta possession resulting
                                from three offensive rebounds, Grant Long
                                broke the final tie with two free throws
                                with 1:17 to play.

                                Paul Pierce (16 points, 8 rebounds) then
                                missed and Chris Crawford (a career-high
                                17 points) added a second-chance trey with
                                18.2 seconds left to make it 75-70. That
                                was it. Ed Gray added two inconsequential
                                free throws with 7.7 seconds left to
                                account for the final totals as Atlanta
                                ended a four-game losing streak.

                                Mercer led Boston with 19 points (on 22
                                shots), but it was a clearly agitated and
                                pained Walker who held court afterward. He
                                said the team had just won four of five,
                                so why were people booing so early? He
                                said it's not only affecting him, but the
                                team. He said the team gets rough
                                treatment on the road and doesn't need a
                                similar response at home.

                                And he talked about his changing role, one
                                which, he says, merely adds to the overall
                                state of confusion on this very young
                                team.

                                ''We don't have roles on this team,'' he
                                said. ''Every night it's different. You
                                see veteran teams like Orlando and Miami
                                and they have the same guys doing the same
                                things every night. That's what we need.

                                ''I enjoy being the number one option. I
                                like having that type of pressure on me.
                                But, like I said, unfortunately, it's not
                                that way this year. We've got other guys
                                who can score, so I have to figure out
                                what my role is going to be. It may be
                                best for me to be the number two option.
                                It can be a number of different things.''

                                Last night, he was a lot of things, but
                                not many were good. The same can be said
                                for his teammates. This was one they
                                logically should have won, given Atlanta's
                                hobbled state and their own recent
                                improved play. They didn't, which again
                                drives home how far they still have to go.

                                This story ran on page C01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 04/15/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.