Walter/Travis

Noah Evans wrote:

> I disagree here. Pitino puts far more faith in McCarty than most of us
> realize. McCarty is the uberbench player for Pitino's system. He's tall,
> athletic, has marathon runner endurance and has a marshon frame(marshon
> syndrome is a type of genetic disorder causing elongation of bones and
> connective tissue, it's also known as Abe Lincoln's disorder). He's weakness
> are lack of physical strength, a poor shooting and finishing, and lack of
> confidence. From Pitino's comments in practice he assumes that Walter should
> develop into a decent scorer(when he becomes more confident in his outside
> shot) and post defender(when McCarty was in college is was ~230 now he's
> around 216, Pitino expects him to put on weight).

I agree with your option of McCarty (although it's Marfan's syndrome).
The problem with Walter last year was that he was a useful bench player
asked to play the role of a starter.  In the upcoming season, I think
McCarty will be a valuable reserve.

> 	Travis, too, could contribute if he becomes more confident(although this
> may be doubtful, the rift in Travis's relationship with Pitino may be
> irrepairable). Travis was competant until he was injured. He was useless
> after that though. His confidence was shot.

I hope that Pitino hasn't given up on Travis.  I think Travis has NBA
skills even though he isn't the prototypical center.  (I also hope he is
serious about adding some muscle.)  If the Celtics are able add a center
(whether by moving Walker to the 3 spot or another team) I think Travis
could be a good power forward.

As it is, he had some good games last year (remember his 13 boards opening
night), and has very good shooting and passing skills for a big man.  At
the present time, he is also the Celtics best shotblocker (though that is
damning him with faint praise).

Joe McIlvaine he ain't.  I really hope Pitino gives him a chance to fit in
next year.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu