Re: $100 million contracts

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Joseph Byrnes <mbyrnes@leland.Stanford.EDU>
>A few questions about these $100 million contracts:
>
> 1. How many teams have 2 or more players signed to $100
>    million contracts?
 Nobody

> 2. How many teams with a $100 million player have won an
>    NBA championship? played in the finals? the semifinals?

Chicago may not have a 100 mill dollar player but they have the highest
payroll of any team.
Lakers       - 2nd round
Miami        - Conference finals, 2nd round
Minnesota - Ist round but you have to agree that they were missing Googs
Cleveland  - Ist round but it's a very young team

The only team with a 100 mill dollar player that didn't make the playoffs
was Washington.

> 3. How much flexibilty under the salary cap do teams with a
>    $100 million player have?

None in cap money but Lakers are way over the salary cap but it hasn't
prevented them from
being active.

> 4. How many teams are going to lose key players on their team,
>    because they can't afford to hand out multiple $100 million
>    contracts?

Very few, the only team I see losing player is Milwaukee. Timberwolves, Griz
will sign there
players.

> 5. Have players which have signed for $100 million been signed
>    for their current ability or their future potential?  Of those
>    signed for future potential, what % of them appear to be worth
>    it?

Both, take for instance Kevin Garnet he has shown great skill and has
tremendous upside. He has also  improved himself in each of the seasons he
has played. Regarding worth how does one compute that, surely Garnet hasn't
had as great an impact as Shaq but next to Shaq he has had the most impact
amongst 100 mill dollar players.

                                                                     -
Mishra