Bird/Pierce

    No doubt someone else on the list may have already posted this
article, but I thought Bob Ryan's panegyric on Larry Bird is well worth
saving for posterity on my PC hard drive. Also, see below a pre-season
feature from the Lawrence Journal World about the "shy, quiet and
polite" Kansas Jayhawk, Paul Pierce. It has a lot of quotes from the
kid.

Peace,

Joe Hironaka
"Laker Basher"

****

"Bird, Hall of Fame: It's truly a perfect fit "

By Bob Ryan, Globe Staff, 06/30/98

                                       The NBA is about to lock out its
players, and
                                       you'll be hearing a lot about the
so-called ''Larry
                                   Bird Exception.'' It has to do with
money, and therein
                                   lies the irony: Larry Bird was never
about the money.

                                   Oh, Larry liked money as much as the
next guy - ask
                                   anyone who has ever uttered those
fateful words
                                   Larry, I'll bet you can't ( fill in
the blank) - but once
                                   the contract was signed, you never
heard another word
                                   from Larry Bird about the money. With
Larry Bird, the
                                   game came first, second, and always.

                                   ''The more money you paid him,'' Red
Auerbach says,
                                   ''the more he wanted to prove he
deserved it.''

                                   You look back at it now, more than
six years after his
                                   final NBA game, and he really does
seem more like a
                                   legend than one of the two greatest
players ever to
                                   play in a Boston Celtics uniform (no
way I'm going to
                                   get bogged down in a Bird-Russell
debate today). The
                                   stuff Larry did, the things he said,
and the impact he
                                   had on both the franchise and the
city itself from
                                   1979-92 could not have been scripted.
When it comes
                                   to Truth vs. Fiction, I'll take
Truth, plus the points,
                                   every time. And Larry Bird was the
simple,
                                   unvarnished truth.

                  To me, Larry Bird was, and always will be, the
personification of the sport, the
                  one whose game was a microcosm of all the sport has to
offer. He could
                  shoot, he could pass, he could rebound, he could
disrupt the other team's
                  offense, and he could think three steps ahead of the
mortal players (pull out
                  the tape of Houston Game 6 in '86 if you want to see a
man dominating every
                  aspect of a basketball game).

                  The only other person who has ever seen what Larry saw
and knew deep
                  inside what Larry knew was, of course, Magic Johnson,
his great friend and
                  rival. Michael? No, Michael is an entirely different
matter, as Larry was first
                  in the NBA to identify and then articulate. Michael
Jordan plays a different
                  game. But don't ever think it's a better one.

                  Michael Jordan is great, superb, the Man From Another
Planet, and just
                  generally beyond compare. That's a given, right?

                  Well, uh, no. Give the '92 Michael and a completely
healthy '86 Bird four
                  comparable teammates, and I'll happily take my chances
with Larry Bird and
                  his guys. One on one, no contest. Five on five, bring
'em on.

                  Has Michael Jordan ever dominated entire huge chunks
of basketball games
                  without taking a shot? No, never. Larry Bird did.
Shooting was part of Larry's
                  game, and not the best part.

                  Return with me to Saturday, May 17, 1986. It is Game 3
of the Eastern
                  Conference finals against the Milwaukee Bucks. In the
first period Larry Bird,
                  a forward, has seven assists. Six are layups, real
assists, old-fashioned assists,
                  Tricky Dick McGuire assists.

                  ''He was a dealer in Three-Card Monte as Bucks came to
surround him,''
                  wrote the great Leigh Montville, ''and he neatly
zipped the ball through their
                  arms, legs, whatever for easy baskets for someone
else. He was magic.''

                  No forward has ever played the game this way. ''He
gave me at least five
                  baskets where I didn't have to do a thing,'' said
Kevin McHale (speaking of
                  quasi-fictional characters). ''All I had to do was
stand there. Didn't do a
                  thing.''

                  ''He had one thing on his mind at all times,'' says
Auerbach, ''and that was to
                  win. He made everyone around him play better.''

                  When I think of Larry Bird, I don't think first of the
huge scoring outputs such
                  as the 60-point game against the Hawks that March
night in New Orleans or
                  the 9-for-10, 20-point fourth quarter against Atlanta
in '88.

                  I think of the Boston Garden Heat Game against LA in
'84, when Kareem &
                  Co. were sucking on oxygen and Larry was frolicking
his way to 15 for 20
                  and 17 rebounds in 97-degree heat. I think of K.C.
Jones saying practice
                  would be called if anyone could sink a shot from
midcourt and Larry
                  immediately grabbing the ball and preventing practice
with one shot. I think of
                  him sitting in the visiting locker room in Milwaukee's
Mecca after being swept
                  by the Bucks and vowing to go home and come back a
better ballplayer. I
                  think about him diving for the ball in Game 4 of the
'87 Milwaukee series and
                  firing an amazing pass to McHale for a dunk from a
sitting position. I think of
                  an inexplicable and completely unnecessary 15-foot,
lefthanded banker in the
                  middle of a great fourth-quarter Game 7 run against
Detroit in '87.

                  I think about him spurning Jones's invitation to go
for a quadruple-double in
                  Salt Lake City (''I've already done enough damage'').
I think about him calling
                  a banked 3-pointer to New York trainer Mike Sauders in
the middle of a
                  game. I think about him standing in front of 20,000
people at City Hall Plaza
                  and describing the eating habits of Moses Malone. I
think about him taking
                  $160 of Dan Shaughnessy's money by sinking 86 of 100
free throws with his
                  right hand taped shut. I think about him returning to
Game 5 against Indiana in
                  '91 like the cavalry after landing on his head in the
second quarter. I think of
                  the way he used the media to get to the crowd before
big games. I think about
                  him looking up at Bobby Orr's number 4 during the
anthem, because ''when I
                  retire, I want people to look at me the way they do at
him.'' I think about him
                  saying, ''Tell Dudley Bradley to cut his damn
fingernails.''

                  More legend: Every year somebody or other sinks some
threes and sets a new
                  record of some sort, but don't ever be fooled. I am
here to say that Larry Bird
                  remains the King of the Three-Pointers because no one
has ever better
                  understood the psychological effect of the three
better than Larry Bird. And I
                  doubt if anyone will ever match his 1986 25-for-34
3-point run from the real
                  3-point distance, either. There are guys today who can
shoot threes, but only
                  Larry Bird ever made it an art form.

                  He always understood what real leadership was, and he
never ran from it. He
                  knew he was different and better than everybody else,
and he knew what
                  responsibilities went with the territory. ''There's no
question I'm the leader of
                  this team,'' he once said. ''Guys look at me and how I
play and it determines
                  how they play. I know that. I recognize that. I don't
mean running around and
                  everything on the floor. I might have done that my
first few years, trying to
                  lead. I mean making the plays.''

                  Healthy or injured - and when injured he simply
refused to discuss the matter -
                  he made plays when they were most needed. He was the
superstar with the
                  12th man mentality. No millionaire player ever went
after more loose balls. ''I
                  don't ever want to be sitting in a locker room after
losing a game by 2 points
                  thinking back to a time when I could have gone to the
floor and made the play
                  for those points, but didn't,'' he explained. ''That's
never happened to me once.
                  And I don't want it ever to happen.''

                  It never did. The only thing left now is for Larry
Bird to solve the mystery.
                  Once upon a time, he said, ''There's a secret to
playin' basketball. But I ain't
                  tellin' what it is.''

                  On Oct. 2, Larry Bird will enter the Basketball Hall
of Fame. Maybe that's
                  when we'll find out.

                  This story ran on page C01 of the Boston Globe on
06/30/98.
                  © Copyright 1998 Globe Newspaper Company.

*****

                               By Gary Bedore
                               Journal-World Assistant Sports Editor

                               Paul Pierce accepts a pass on the wing.
He
                               stops, looks right, heads left, then down
the
                               baseline for a vicious slam dunk.

                               A big smile creases the 6-foot-7,
                               220-pounder's face as Pierce raises a
fist
                               and shouts orders to a freshman teammate
                               as they rush back to play defense during
                               preseason pick-up game at Allen
                               Fieldhouse.

                               Paul Pierce smile?

                               Paul Pierce talk on the court?

                               Get used to it.

                               Pierce, now a rapidly-maturing,
20-year-old
                               KU junior, who has been referred to as
                               "shy, quiet, polite and contemplative" in
the
                               past, plans to make his presence known
his
                               junior year.

                               "I think I'll be a little bit more
outgoing this
                               year. I don't want to be as quiet," said
                               Pierce, a native of Inglewood, Calif. "I
think
                               you'll see a little more excitement in my

                               game.

                               "Each year, I want to have a little more
fun.
                               I think you'll see a little more smiling.
I'll be
                               much more aggressive on both ends. I'll
talk
                               a little bit more. I'll try to lead this
team by
                               example and vocally."

                               He started leading during preseason
pick-up
                               games. He's a junior and has tried to
show
                               some of the newcomers the ropes.

                               "I think I'm coming out a little bit
more. I'm
                               stepping up, doing a little more
leading,"
                               Pierce said. "I'm talking, getting on
guys
                               when they are messing up, letting them
                               know they have to play hard at all
times."

                               Pierce and senior Raef LaFrentz, whose
                               names have appeared on many preseason
                               All-America lists, are known as the heart

                               and soul of Kansas University's
basketball
                               team.

                               "I guess I don't say a lot, but I work
hard
                               every day and I think my teammates see
                               that," said Pierce, a preseason
All-America
                               candidate who entered the 1997-98 season
                               just nine points shy of becoming the 36th

                               player in Kansas history to score 1,000
                               points. "I'm ready to step up and take
any
                               challenge. If we need a big shot at the
end
                               of a game, I'm ready to take it. Whenever

                               my teammates need me, I'll try to step
up.
                               I'm not saying I'm going to be the go-to
guy
                               every night, but I have confidence in my
                               ability.

                               "It comes with maturity. The first year I
sat
                               back and let the older guys take care of
it.
                               Last year I was a little more aggressive.

                               Now it's up to me and Raef and other guys

                               like Ryan (Robertson, junior point
guard).
                               We're the older guys now."

                               Pierce, who entered college as a
wide-eyed
                               youngster of 17, turned 20 on Oct. 13.

                               "About 99 percent of my friends are older

                               than me," Pierce said. "I've always acted

                               older than I really am. People still
can't
                               believe I started the year 19 as a junior
in
                               college.

                               "I've always played with older guys, even

                               when I was young. In junior high, I'd
play
                               with the high school guys. When I was in
                               high school, I'd go to the college and
play.
                               It's helped me mature as a person and
                               player, just being around older people."

                               Playing with the big boys is nothing new
for
                               Pierce, the youngest player on USA
                               Basketball's Under 22 team two summers
                               ago. That team placed first in an
                               international qualifying tournament.

                               As a youth, he practiced with - and
                               competed against - older brothers Jamal
                               (34) and Steve (28) and their friends.
                               Pierce's mother, Lorraine Hosey, and the
                               boys lived in Oakland, Calif., for 17
years
                               before she moved her three sons to
                               Inglewood, a Los Angeles suburb, prior to

                               Paul's junior high years.

                               Pierce, who practiced all sports with
Steve
                               while Lorraine, a nurse, worked double
                               shifts, gravitated from baseball, tennis
and
                               football to basketball after the move to
                               hoop-happy Inglewood.

                               Paul played in his back yard, at a
                               neighborhood park and at the Inglewood
                               YMCA. He found himself playing above his
                               head, taking on junior high schoolers
while
                               he was still in grade school and high
                               schoolers when he was in junior high.

                               Still developing physically - Pierce was
                               pudgy youngster before the move to
                               Inglewood - he sat the bench halfway
                               through his sophomore year at Inglewood
                               High. He considered quitting the game.

                               It's a similar story to Michael Jordan's.

                               Remember: The Bulls' phenom was cut from
                               his junior high team.

                               "I thought I was better than the guys
playing
                               at the time. I thought I should be out
there,"
                               Pierce said. "It got to the point I
didn't want
                               to play anymore. I remember coming home
                               and talking to my brother about quitting.
He
                               said I should stay and get better. He
said, 'If
                               you don't think they're (teammates) very
                               good, stay and make them better.'"

                               Pierce became a starter over winter break

                               when a few teammates had to leave town to

                               visit relatives. He's been starting every
since.

                               "I always wanted to be the best whether
it
                               was in the backyard or playing tennis,"
                               Pierce said. "After that (soph) year, I
went
                               out and ran. I was working out all the
time. I
                               felt I had something to prove. To this
day I
                               feel I have something to prove. You can't

                               slow down until you retire."

                               Pierce started his final two years at
                               Inglewood, averaging 27 points, 11
                               rebounds and four assists his senior
year.
                               As a junior, he averaged 25 points and 10

                               boards.

                               A McDonald's All-American, Pierce chose
                               Kansas over UCLA in recruiting. He could
                               have attended any school in the country.

                               "I felt I needed to get away from friends
and
                               I felt it was a better situation for me
to come
                               and play a lot," Pierce said of the move
                               Lawrence. "I decided Kansas was the place

                               for me. Coach (Roy) Williams is a good
                               recruiter, very honest from the start. I
knew
                               he was a coach I wanted to play for from
                               the start."

                               Feeling his way into new surroundings,
                               Pierce experienced a solid freshman
season,
                               averaging 11.7 points and 5.3 boards.
Last
                               year, he improved to 16.3 points and 6.8
                               rebounds per game.

                               He had NBA scouts drooling near the end
                               of the season. Pierce, who averaged 22
                               points and 12 rebounds in the NCAA
                               tournament, led KU in scoring in six
                               postseason games.

                               He had 30 points in the Big 12 Tournament

                               title victory over Missouri and 27 points
in a
                               season-ending loss to Arizona.

                               "Toward the end of the year, I didn't
really
                               exceed any of my personal goals or
                               expectations people had of me," Pierce
                               said. "I thought to myself, 'It's coming
to the
                               end of the season. I must elevate my game

                               and put extra focus.

                               "I used making the third team (All Big
12)
                               as motivation through the whole
postseason.
                               I wanted to be on the first team. Once
they
                               announced I was on the third team, I
                               accepted it but it kinda made me mad. I
                               used it as motivation to push me the rest
of
                               the year."

                               Will this year be his last year here? The

                               NBA may beckon after the season as it did

                               last year, when Pierce decided to stay
                               instead of bolt for the pros after two
                               seasons.

                               "All along in my head I kind of thought I

                               wanted to come back," said Pierce, who
                               took about a month in the postseason to
                               decide to return.

                               Williams' discussions with NBA personnel
                               indicated Pierce probably would have been

                               tapped in the top 15 picks. Some scouts
                               insisted he'd have been a lottery pick.

                               "There were days I was totally sure I'd
                               come back," Pierce said. "But the other
side
                               is one of the dreams I want to accomplish
is
                               play in the NBA. It was a tough decision
                               and at times to me it was sort of a
bother. I
                               had to make a decision along with people
                               asking me about it every day as well as
                               people coming up to me telling me what I
                               should do. That kind of made it
difficult. At
                               times I just wanted to be by myself and
not
                               think about it.

                               "The good thing is I get to put it off
another
                               year. I'm not thinking about it. I'm
thinking
                               about college. I guess toward the end of
the
                               season I'll weigh my options and see
where
                               I'm at."