Glowing Pete Review of Audient

Lauren via TheWho thewho at igtc.com
Mon Nov 9 16:27:39 UTC 2015

Thanks to Brian C.

Pete's review is so passionate that I want to run out and buy one!

Lauren

Pete Townshend on Audient
UK – “If you’re happy with what you’re doing using a laptop, then you don’t need one of these, but … I can’t live without it,” says multi-instrumentalist Pete Townshend of his Audient ASP4816 – although he could be talking about either of his two Audient analogue consoles, ASP8024 or ASP4816. Townshend speaks passionately about analogue recording using his Audient on camera.

His latest acquisition is the more compact ASP4816, which delivers Audient power and flexibility in a much smaller frame. “It’s a big console workflow, a big console sound, in a small footprint. It’s an amazing little board,” he says, quipping, “For the price of this console it’s no wonder that it’s used in so many educational establishments. It in itself is an educational tool.”

With all the same key features as its big brother, including EQ, mic pres and in-line architecture, the analogue ASP4816 does not scrimp on audio performance – a fact that has not escaped Townshend. “I had a commercial studio for a long time and a big Audient upstairs. We had a big rack of mic pres, but I never used them. I would bang the mic in and think, ‘Well, that sounds great,’ and that was it! So I love the mic amps. The pathway in, the EQ and everything about it is perfect for me.”

He describes his work flow, and how uses tape and RADAR like a tape machine, clearly appreciating being able to work on what he calls a ‘traditional desk’. "I'd prefer to have an Audient console in my studio than the money equivalent of several fancy vintage rack boxes with big black knobs and twitching VU meters. Vintage analogue is fab. After all I am now vintage!” he told Audient recently. “BUT my heart is young: give me a laptop, a good DAW, and a modern Audient console. I get the best of analogue and digital with only me in between. Audient makes that connection."
9th November 2015